Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Tomorrow----it ain't no big thang really................

Tomorrow is our official evaluation with the Child Development Unit of Children's Hospital in Pittsburgh. I look back at all the emotions surrounding this appointment and I'm finally in the correct state of mind. I've been all over the place emotionally with the appointment----everywhere from panic to dread to apprehension, etc. When we were first referred I couldn't wait for tomorrow to arrive. Then we met someone who has forever changed our lives. An amazing person who truly cares about kids and will go above and beyond. She literally trained me to be an ABA therapist to my daughter. WE GOT LUCKY. We were in a very dangerous place. You know that place you hear about on talk shows---"she was slipping away right before our very eyes"-----you watch any talk show about autism or any developmental disorder and you'll hear those words and dear God do I feel for those people. It was quickly happening here. I know Taylor's mind was making misconnections daily. I'm absolutely positive that was happening. We caught it in time and we are remapping as we speak and folks guess what?!!!! It's working. It's working. I know there are some people who think if we wait and see she will just come along in her own time. WEll, this momma can tell you that would've never happened and that's one risk in life Mark and I are NOT willing to take. Mothers ALWAYS know. ALWAYS. Her behavior was alarming and made me uncomfortable inside. If any mothers out there are experiencing the same feelings then you push your pediatrician to refer you on-----you PUSH like you've never pushed before. Your child is counting on you to do so.

I think back to filling out all those daunting blue forms we were sent when we first made THE appointment. I think about all those questions I answered. I am taking a different kid tomorrow. We have plenty to work on and many obstacles but they are being checked off one by one. I remember Early Intervention coming and asking me how I wanted our family social goal to be written----I simply replied, "I just wanna go out to a restaurant or store without a huge screaming struggle. I just want to be a family." That's it. Simple, right? Well it took a lot of work. We have been successfully out to eat twice in 2 weeks and to Walmart twice in 3 days. We have conquered the grocery cart----along with the sliding board and swings and trampoline. HUGE sensory progress folks. We will continue to work on playdoh, elevators, hair dryers, strangers, vacuum cleaners, loud environments, etc.

ABA therapy (done correctly) has changed our lives. Seriously. It is working for Taylor. It may not work for all kids but it is working here. She is feeling success. That is what it's all about -- her success which has quadrupled her confidence. She is so much happier now. Less frustrated with daily life---still frustrated with trying new things but we can work through it. She is so proud of herself when she makes progress. She knows. We still have a few bad days here and there but we won't focus on those right now. She's only 2 years old.

Soooo---this family still struggles and does tremendous amounts of therapy but we also trick-or-treat, go to the grocery store, do puzzles, read, jump on the trampoline, write, play chase, eat popsicles, watch Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, do more puzzles, hop, eat in restaurants, and many more typical family things.

So ya see tomorrow won't be a day to remember-----August 21, 2007------now that's the day to remember. That's the day we began ABA therapy and the day my child turned a very important corner----the corner of SUCCESS.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey,
I'm so glad to hear that so many wonderful changes have been happening! You keep pushing, girl. You fought so hard for Taylor all this time; it's great that you have all of these successes to look at to keep you going.

Janet

jen duncan said...

I don't even have to read this post to know little miss taylor is going to be a-ok. I just have to look into those eyes and see that smile. I am just so happy for your family and proud of your quick action and hard work. Much love to you, my friend.

Donna Layton said...

This is so encouraging! I can't wait to find out how it all went. Whatever happens with the "professionals" I know you will move forward in the direction you know is right. Your gut instincts have brought you this far and I'm quite sure those excellent instincts will continue to guide you through this process to a good life for Taylor.

Sue McGettigan said...

Congrats Michelle, hope the eval day went well, I'm sure you'll update soon.