Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Impressive progress

Thought I'd fill in ya in on Taylor's progress. I know there are quite a few friends and family reading this blog these days.

Our "typical" week here consists of 4 therapists and constant sensory and ABA therapy pretty much done by me. Under the direction of our ABA therapist who comes once a week and does updates/therapy we have implemented an ABA program that seems to be really working for Taylor. I have an entire notebook full of data. I do ABA therapy with Taylor spontaneously throughout the day and in actual sit-down sessions. We are acquiring more and more skills so we not only do new things but we also have to map out time for review. It's an all-day affair which is fine with me because the more she sits and works the less time there is for shadow play. Early Intervention therapists also come to the house and I find ways to incorporate things they are doing into our day. The trick is finding the way to present it. Taylor learns in different ways. All it takes is finding what clicks. It can be tricky or it can just occur incidentally. I notice more and more incidental learning which is huge!

I have taught her to imitate. Our ABA gal says if a kid can imitate they can learn anything. Maybe it will take us a bit more time but it'll come.

I truly believe that we caught her early enough to turn this whole thing around in a couple years or so. I know it won't be easy and we'll still have to teach things in different ways. We live, breathe and eat therapy but that's what it takes. I will not be a parent who sits back and just lets it be--not judging others - we have fortunate circumstances working in our favor here. It won't always be this tough but we just have to suck it up for now. Forcing your 2 year old to do things isn't easy but she'll thank me later. If we would have just "waited to see" what happened we would be in BAD shape right now. These kids have to be caught early. Catching it early gives time to remap the brain.

WEll---our appointment with Children's Hospital is 2 weeks away now. I have no idea what they will say. I am taking a different child to that appointment now. She has changed so much. We still have tons to work on (especially unfamiliar people and places) but she has changed for the better with all this therapy. All the therapists are a little in awe at what we are accomplishing in this house with ABA. I think we've made believers out of a couple of people who weren't so much in favor of the process. I have no idea what the professionals will say because I'm sure most people go into that appointment without ABA therapy behind them. We have been working extremely hard for 2 months. We just got lucky and was sent the right person at the right time. Funny how that works.

WEll, off to review my "lesson plan" while Taylor is napping. I map out a lesson plan each night for the next day. It works. It is my job now and that's totally cool. I'm armed with the knowledge and tools to save my little girl and that's EXACTLY what I'm gonna do. :)

Peace.

3 comments:

Babsarella said...

Thanks for the every so encouraging update!!! I am so happy you are seeing things moving in the right direction!!!

Lisa Renéa said...

Michelle, thanks so much for the update. Continued thoughts and prayers!

Donna Layton said...

I am so amazed by this! Your proactive position is making all the difference in the world. I can't begin to tell you how much I admire your strenth of character and dedication. I know I could not do what you are doing. Taylor is SO BLESSED to have you as her mother. God knows what he is doing.