Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Tough phase

We've entered a difficult phase in the Infantino household. Taylor has figured out we will not allow her to play in her reflection all day instead of learning. She is most unhappy about this fact. She takes off and tries to sneak. She sees me coming and quickly stops and gives me an "ehh" in a most annoyed tone. That simple "ehh" was how it started a couple days ago and now we are at full fledge tantrums, hitting, etc.

I think the need to "see" herself comes from the fact that she sometimes doesn't "feel" her body. The trick is to find an "acceptable" way for her to feel grounded - an "acceptable" way to meet that need. Easier said than done. For example---instead of her running back and forth and back and forth in front of her reflection for an extended period of time perhaps we could read books in her worm tunnel. The tunnel touches her on all sides therefore grounding her and she learns by reading at the same time. Problem is this will satisfy the need for a few minutes and then ya gotta think of something else. Makes for a very long difficult day. This sensory stuff is a whole new ballgame for me. I'm so tired I sleep all night and during her naps. I dream all this wild stuff too-- my mind is overloaded.

So today I saw a lot of trying to replace that need to see her reflection----rubbing her face all over me, rubbing her hair all over her face, crashing into the couch pillows all day, rubbing her chest against mine, staring at her arms and hands, etc. Once again you gotta keep this kid busy ALL DAY. We are doing better with that since we now know how to use more toys. It's very difficult when you first begin because if a child doesn't know how to play with toys then what the heck are you gonna replace all this behavior with?! It's step by step by step and it's difficult.

Some of you reading this may think that playing in your reflection is a normal thing----well, not all day. It then prohibits learning and becomes the primary focus of the day. Unacceptable.

Occupational therapy offically began this week. Taylor did well for her first visit. She was able to put her hands and feet all through a container filled with beans. She was also able to tolerate pulling objects out of therapy puddy. Therapy puddy is stiffer than playdoh. It's a step toward playdoh. I think Taylor would rather eat liver than play with playdoh at this point. She runs from me if I get the playdoh out. This explains a little why Taylor is such a neat eater. We do not like stuff on our hands or face. Think about your hands being sticky from syrup and multiply that by a thousand--that's how Taylor feels when her hands are messy. We will begin brush therapy next visit. It is done every 2 hours for 2 weeks and then I think the frequency tapers off. You brush their arms, legs, hands, feet and back and then apply pressure to the joints. She explained the whole process better. Think about how great you feel when you've had a massage. That's a good comparison. You feel grounded, relaxed and more in tune with your body. That's what brush therapy should eventually do for Taylor. I can tell you it she won't like it much at first but she'll eventually desensitize to the whole process just like everything else.

Taylor has a lot of sensory issues that affect daily life. She despises vacuum cleaners, hair dryers, loud toilets in public restrooms, hand dryers, etc. They are annoying to the average person but very amplified for her. She is terrifed of them and they hurt her ears BAD. She also does not like the feeling of being in an elevator. She shakes a lot and screams when in elevators.
She also does not like to swing but we are working on that. Our ABA therapist says the therapeutic effects of swinging can last for days. She won't touch the balance beam at the Little Gym. Just think of anything that would make the average person just a little uneasy and multiply that by a thousand and you might be able to imagine how if would affect my little gal.
Once again---some of these things are normal for a kid Taylor's age but it's the DEGREE of how it affects her. These things cause great panic for her.

She is quite the mix---hypersensitive to some things (vacuum) and hyposensitive to others (feeling her body---that need to "crash" into the couch). It's all so complex and difficult to explain. I know her so well. I know pretty much how she'll react even before the situation arises. Her and I ---well, we understand one another much better these days.

Speech comes tomorrow. To leave this entry on a positive note---Taylor is beginning to imitate more of our words. They aren't initiated on her own yet or a request for something but she can make the sounds! She can imitate words in books and everyday conversation. You have to really listen sometimes and figure out what she is saying but she is trying so hard. She is so smart. If we didn't have all this sensory stuff to work through I firmly believe we'd be fine. It just affects everything. The way I understand it is if you don't feel comfortable within yourself you don't learn receptive and expressive language. We'll be fine anyway---we just work a lot harder around here.

There are days I wake up and think "dear Lord another day of this?" and there are days I wake up and think "bring it on." I am noticing more "bring it on" days---a lot more. If I have to die trying we will overcome this. There's no other acceptable path. There just isn't. I won't allow it. We are talking about my daughter here. She doesn't need to be perfect. I just want her to be happy and independent. HAPPY AND INDEPENDENT.

We will achieve both of those things. WE WILL. I promise her that daily.

6 comments:

jen duncan said...

You go girl. I think of you guys daily. Keep up the good fight.

Babsarella said...

Lots of great stuff going on!!! Love all the details and explainations...makes it much easier to understand. Hope you are keeping a journal of all you are going through...I think it will be great to look back on and see how all your hard work has paid off!! You know all your friends are here to keep you in our prayers and offer you (long distance) hugs and support....

Kris H said...

I was going to say what Jen did..."you go girl"!!! Taylor is so lucky to have you for her mom. You are so WONDERFUL to care so deeply, and do all of this with her. I'm so glad to hear that she is responding positively to all of this. Sending you all the positive energy I can gather up!!!

The Huge Spectrum said...

A little boy in our play group goes twice a week and works with the sensory stuff. We met him six months ago, and he is doing great. His mother brushes his arms every day, and he plays in tubs of beans and sand. At first he had the worst time, and I can say six months later, I see a huge difference. He Even plays with the kids now!
Michelle, You are a terrific mother! Taylor is fortunate to have parents like you and Mark.

Loudlife said...

Hi Michelle-

Keep the faith - early intervention works!

(I mean the act of early intervention, not the place that you refer to.)

You don't know me, I just saw a link to your blog on the other Michelle's blog referencing your Crusade #12 win so I decided to pop on over. I knew as soon as I started reading that you must be dealing with Autism.

My daughter, Rexy, is 3 1/2 now. We suspected there was something not quite right when she was 18mos and didn't have any words yet. She'd said a couple at one time or another, but only a couple times each and then she stopped. The doctor said, "She's probably just processing things more slowly, lets just wait and see..." By 2 yrs She basically only said the numbers 1-10 clearly, and 11-20 in a sort of garbled way, and "milk." She would tolerate us hugging her, but didn't hug back and the same with kissing. The way she expressed affection was to regally tip her head toward you (that was a hug) and to extend her closed fist toward you for it to be kissed (Only her most favorite people got that honor). She was physically uncoordinated and had problems with small motor skills. She would cry and hide from the Vacuum cleaner, the blow dryer, the coffee grinder and any loud vehicle or machine. She would seldom look someone in the eye. She would only play by herself, mostly with books and her toy piano. She did not point or play pretend. Self-help was basically nonexistent. Our angelic child was the worst kid in her toddler tumbling class and had total meltdowns when there were extra people there.

We finally got a diagnosis at 26 months. Our results were very similar, numerically, to yours. We were completely shocked. We thought we were just dealing with a speech delay. Many of those other things just seemed normal to us, neither of us had been around typical small children enough to know how is was supposed to be. We've been lucky enough to have gotten her into an early intervention study at the University of Washington. ( http://depts.washington.edu/uwautism/research/coe.html#early ) They use a Denver Model ABA approach (child directed play to achieve goals) and see her 15-20 hours a week in our home - for free. We got her into a private Birth to 3 school on scholarship and now she's in a special public preschool class.

At 30 months she said "Mommy" for the first time. She gives us hugs and just recently started giving us kisses, too. 4 months ago she started saying, "I love you." She still won't be in the same room as the vacuum, the blow dryer or the coffee grinder, but she no longer cries and hides. She talks up a storm, although we can't always understand her - still working on that. She volunteers conversation and shares her experiences with us (by saying, "Look! Look!" or by looking at our faces to see if we are having the same experience that she is) and just recently said, "That's fun!" for the first time. She asks us to play with her now and will interact in play with adults. She is just beginning to be able to play with other kids - as opposed to near them. Her physical coordination is nearly age level. Her eye contact is vastly improved. She points, she's the QUEEN of pretend play, and she's really pretty comfortable around strangers (in small numbers) and can tolerate larger crowds without breakdowns.

I now really have high hopes that she will lead a relatively normal life. She improves daily - and I'm not exaggerating. I'm so grateful for the peole at the U of W. Her therapy manager/head therapist is the most caring, dedicated, well-informed woman in the world. I couldn't ask for a better situation, therapy-wise. Her school situation is a little less satisfactory, but public school is all we can afford, being that it's free. And she still makes progress that I can definitely attribute to school.

I felt so sorry for you when I read your post of August 15th, when you first said Autism. Your outlook was so bleak and hopeless. I remembered all my fears for my little gal. I really feel that she will be okay now. Early intervention works.

Please feel free to contact me at any time. I'll be thinking of you.

Laurie Blau-Marshall

Kerilou said...

Thanks for the update...I don't get here to check in like I should...I am so overwhelmed just reading what you are dealing with, but at the same time, encouraged, because I sense a new feeling of strength in your voice. Keep up the good work-and I am thinking of you...Keri