Wednesday, August 15, 2007

I'm 95 percent sure..........

that we are a statistic. A very heartbreaking statistic. The 1 in 150 statistic. A gut-wrenching statistic. A statistic I never EVER imagined would land in this house. A statistic that has ripped a world apart. A statistic that makes me cry at will. A statistic that means my daughter may never know the "normal" joys of life. A statistic that makes me hate the other mothers at the park. A statistic that is so unfair I can't even imagine ANYTHING worse. A statistic that keeps a light from going off inside my daughter's head that would help her talk, respond, look, socialize normally ,etc. A statistic that means possibly no ballet/gymnastics etc. - speech/occupational therapy instead. A statistic that means so much. One small word, one horrific heartache------

AUTISM

It's here. Taylor is exhibiting all the signs. I've had a weird feeling in my gut about this for a little while--a mother's feeling, a nurse's feeling---you know those feelings. It would explain so much. So many social difficulties. A reason for all the meltdowns in normal social situations when things get too "close." A reason for loss of words. A reason for virtually no speech. A reason for constant movement. A reason for hand flapping when uncomfortable around other kids. A reason for constant screaming on an airplane. A reason for her being so behind the other kids--kids younger than her. A reason for not wanting to be held close to your chest. Now talk about heartbreaking. Every selfish bone in my body is grieving over that one. A reason she goes to sleep without any protest. A reason she was totally miserable around all of her cousins and completely content as soon as I removed her from the situation. A reason it's always seemed "difficult" around here. A reason she won't pretend. A reason she doesn't "show" us anything. A reason she didn't point before age 2. A reason she won't look when I point something out to her. A reason she went to the other side of the room completely away from other kids at The Little Gym. A reason when you call her name she almost always won't look at you. A reason for so many things.

So, I have a call in to Early INtervention who is supposed to call me within 10 days to schedule an evaluation within 45 days. We also have an appointment at Children's Hospital to get her diagnosed. Wanna know the best part??? Insurance doesn't cover behavioral therapy. Early Intervention is free. Children's is not. Soooooo, any additional therapy or visits at Children's is out-of-pocket. First thing we are probably going to sell is Mark's car. Early intervention does provide therapy but odds are she might need more. We will find a way.

DEAR GOD PLEASE LET ME BE WRONG. PLEASE. I BEG OF YOU.

Please don't call me. I can't bear to talk about this right now. I just can't. I'm not sure how Mark feels but I can't talk on the phone about it yet. I'm just struggling to make it through the day and I know I have to get past this feeling to do the best for Taylor. This is so not about me but I feel so damn selfish right now. I'm so pissed off, sad, depressed, angry, hateful, heart-broken. You name it. We are all feeling it.

I know you are all saying "wait for a diagnosis." Well, it sure feels like autism lives here and it's real right now.

So, pray for us or do whatever it is you all choose to do. Hug your kids today and thank God for them.

10 comments:

June Houck said...

I've already been there. If you want to "talk", I'll listen. If you need help, I'll try to help.

Tracy said...

i'm thinking about you sweetie.

Anonymous said...

Michelle- I'm on a cruise ship, parked in british columbia, and something...i don't know what....made me think I needed to check in here. I am sorry for the fear and pain and anger you're having to deal with. I believe God will take care of your family. I will def pray for good news and please know that you and that precious girl are in my heart.
jen duncan

Lisa Renéa said...

Prayers and hugs surrounding your precious family.

velouria said...

Wishing you all the strength in the world. Lots of love, Corinne

Kerilou said...

Michelle, I am so sorry you are going through this...I will continue to pray for you and your family. I can almost say that I know what you are going through...the little girl I take care of, Morgan, is nearly 3. She does not talk, is not potty trained, hates any change in schedule, has meltdowns, and does all the "movements". I saw it for a long time, but her Mom did not want to admit anything was wrong for quite a while. Half the battle is getting the help....she has been evaluated by two places and they both insist that it is not autism. She has them stumped...they do know what she had fluid in her ears for nearly the first year and for her it was like hearing under water. They think her shutting herself out because of that is a BIG part of her problem now. I can relate to how you feel-I am not Morgan's mom but I have had her since she was born, and I felt so robbed, so "why me"....and her mother expressed those same feelings to me after she admitted there was a problem. Watching her parents go through the stress of this has not been easy...there is not much I can do but understand and pray...you are fabulous parents who love and care for your child. Taylor is fortunate to have you, and even though this is hard, i know you will do right by her, and she will have the best chance in the world with you two as her parents--autism or not! Love you and hugs, Keri

Linda M said...

Michele, I felt so bad inside as I read your experiences. What a heartbreaking time for you--even if it turns out to be unfounded. The fears are so real. I'll pray for you and your beautiful daughter. She has great parents and that is a blessing to all of you.

Babsarella said...

Sending you hugs and prayers. I know this must be so difficult. I am always here if you ever need to talk.

Anonymous said...

Michelle, I just wanted to let you know that I am praying for you and your family! I have not been down this particular road, but have been there with worries about unknown problems with a child. It is a scary road to go down, but do know that you have many friends and family who will walk that road with you. Hugs are coming your way!!!
Candy

tina said...

Michelle, I'm thinking about you- you're doing all the right things- you can handle whatever comes your way. I can't imagine what you're going through- hugs to you and your family.