Friday, September 14, 2007

Physical Therapy eval

Taylor will also have physical therapy 2x/week. We have the occupational therapy eval. the week after next. I'm thinking they will definitely want to see her for that also. So it's gonna be 1.5 hours 2x/week for them and whatever Early Intervention wants (guessing 2x/week also) and our ABA gal 1x/week with me doing ABA each day also. Are you tired yet? lol. The one day that is left will be the day I work---hopefully.


The therapist was concerned because Taylor toes in so much. She has from birth. I thought they might want to work on that. They also want to work on jumping. They are not at all concerned with her strength. Trust me---she's strong. She gives me a workout during these evaluations.

I told them I want Speech therapy to be the first component of her day. If it's in the middle or last she may have already had a meltdown and nothing will get accomplished. At this point communication is the focus. I also told them I want the SAME therapists each time. If not she'll spend each session just fighting a stranger. She doesn't care much for strangers especially strangers in an office that sorta resembles a doctor's office and an office associated with work. After all---what 2 year old WANTS to do these things? The best 2 year old on the best day might be a little irritated by the whole process.

These CTC evaluators all have a week to write up their reports and then we'll get a feel for a concrete schedule. I'll feel a little better when I know what I'm going to be doing weekly.

Next week-----ABA gal on Tuesday and planning meeting with Early Intervention on Friday with the ABA gal present. THANK THE LORD SHE IS COMING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You see---the conventional speech therapists sometimes don't favor ABA. (This is just my opinion so no nasty emails from anyone, ok?, every kid is different). ABA is very very expensive also so we are just gonna approach the subject with Early Intervention because there are ABA therapists in the area - some division of UPMC provides them in-home. I don't think any insurance companies cover ABA. Basically our ABA gal is gonna be my parent advocate to try and acquire ABA therapy through Early INtervention for free. It's a longshot but worth a try.

Haven't heard anything about the medical card. Plan on calling them on Monday. I know our caseworker was on vacation this week.

We have a playdate today with our ABA gal and her 4 year old son. Fun. That's it. Fun. Ya see---it's real tough getting caught up in all this and remembering a 2 year old craves FUN. We are also going to the Little Gym on Monday. It may be our last time because of scheduling be we are goin' on Monday for fun.

That's all folks. Hope this blog is keeping family informed and will someday help someone else who is feeling lost.

1 comment:

Sue McGettigan said...

Good luck with the process Michelle, I'm glad you have an advocate going in with you, and that you and Taylor are squeezing some playdates in the middle of all this. Keep the faith!