Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Update for family and friends

Mark and I have made some decisions regarding Taylor and therapy. For now we will be having Early Intervention come on Monday and Wednesday. Tracy will come on Tuesday. I'll work my nursing job mostly Thursdays and Fridays will be Little Gym. Our Monday gal's appointments are all scattered in October but November will be on a constant Monday schedule. We will continue to work on ABA at home all day.



We decided to wait on Children's Therapy Center until we go to Children's Hospital in Pittsburgh in November. Tracy, Mark, and I all agree that a gradual entrance into therapy is smart for Taylor---not for everyone--but for Taylor. My gut feels this is what should be done.


Her and I work well together using ABA at home and I don't want to entirely throw that off with an abrupt entrance into therapy every day for hours. That may all change in November when we go to Children's. I'd like to see what they personally recommend first. For now thank God that we met someone who could basically give me a crash course in the ABA arena. This is not for everyone. It's tough. More tough to do on your own kid than anything. Thank God for mini M&Ms.


I just want to say these decisions are right for my kid--each and every kid is different. If you are reading this and going through something like this just keep that in mind. I am in no shape or form trying to guide anyone. This blog basically keeps friends and family informed of OUR situation.


In 5 weeks we have made significant progress. She will now scribble with a pen (crayons not a favorite here), use her Magnadoodle to stamp shapes (was clueless what this thing even did a month ago), loves the slide, can swing on my lap for a couple minutes, is pointing to request food and drink, and is babbling on and off. We have also heard the words "da-da" and "ma-mum" again. She can say "dup" aka pop if prompted. We have also heard cake, up, bite, coo-kie, and a few others that are questionable but I think are words that just need ironed out. We can also do matching puzzles, some gross motor imitation, etc. We have came a long way without conventional therapy. This is all at home! We are working so hard. We learn in very small steps so the above accomplishments are very big and take time.


We do still have the shadow play a lot but I always try to redirect her. We now have Halloween window clings on each and every reflective surface of the kitchen. I'll be glad when fall comes and the sun doesn't shine as much. No doubt SOME of this is play but some isn't. When she starts that methodic back and forth it's time to do something else.


We have had a couple great playdates with Tracy's 4 year old son. She is very comfortable with him. He is a very well- behaved fun boy! It's great for her to see him pretending. They sat side by side in the car yesterday---very close in the carseats. She was very okay with that. I think she was saying the "k" sound for his name also. We continue with the Little Gym and playyards and playgrounds and restaurants. Little at a time with gradual increases here and there. She does well.


Thought I'd throw in a little Halloween card for fun. Stamp is Amuse. Cards are from the dollar spot at Target. I just added the scallop part.

More later. I have several Taylor photos to post---all her new accomplishments!!!

5 comments:

Babsarella said...

You sound like you have things quite under control, and I am so happy that you are seeing progress and Miss T is adjusting to all these changes. Keeping you all in my prayers! Love the adorable card too!

Lisa Renéa said...

Michelle, first off, let me say the card is so cute! Your posts are so informative & thorough--I literally knew nothing of Autism, until I started reading your posts & watched the Oprah program. I can only pray for your continued strength, courage and education. Hang in there!

Unknown said...

You sound like life is better. I can only imagine the work you are putting in... but in the end, it will pay off. I think it's a good plan to take on all of the therapies in steps. I think that is good for all of you. Take care...

fun halloween card. :)

Kerilou said...

Thanks for the update, Michelle. I think about you every day. You are strong, and I have faith that Taylor has the best mama in the world for her. Even if somedays you don't think it. Getting her the help she needs this early is half the battle, no matter what the underlying issue is. Keep up the good work, I know it is tiring, but just know that you are not alone! Keri

Anonymous said...

You write very well.